Experience a journey back in time as you travel from Wilderswil to Interlaken Ost to board a vintage cogwheel train. This magnificent vintage train, complete with wooden seats and conductors in uniforms from years gone by, will carry you up to Schynige Platte. Within an hour, you will reach the top and spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura will present themselves to you. Aside from the striking scenery, take some time to visit the Botanical Alpine Garden, the only one of its kind in Switzerland housing nearly 600 species of plants. If the active life is more your pace, this is the perfect place to hit the trails and discover nature on a hike. Feeling hungry? Enjoy the charming restaurant with terrace, and visit the mountain’s hotel! And a bonus, Swiss Travel Pass holders can enjoy all the amazing things to see and do on Schynige Platte for free! Don’t miss out on this one-in-a-lifetime excursion, memories are just waiting to be made!
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
• Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schynige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
• The 52-minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
• The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
• Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
• Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
• Easy circular hiking trails.
• Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
• Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
• Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
• Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather, the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
• Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. Do I need to do anything with my rail pass before boarding the train?
A. Yes. You will need to visit the ticket window at the train station before boarding your first train to activate your rail pass. A railroad official will enter the first and last day of validity on your rail pass and stamp your rail pass. You will have to show your passport, and the name on your rail pass will need to match it. Then, in case of a flexi-pass, for each day you use your rail pass you will need to enter the date in the designated travel calendar box on your rail pass. If you board a train and have not entered the date, when the conductor comes around to check your travel documents you may be subject to a fine and the payment of full fare ticket that will need to be paid in local currency directly to the conductor. Be sure to read all documentation that accompanies your rail pass prior to departure. The more you know about your rail pass, the more likely you are to avoid issues onboard the train.
Q. What language is spoken at the train station and on the train?
A. Typically at the train station and on board the train the local language is spoken. Announcements at the station and on board the train will be made in the local language of the departure station.
Q. Where can I find more information about European train stations?
A. We offer valuable information on the most popular train stations in Europe. You can find a link to our Train Station page in the footer on any page on the website.
Q. Who is eligible to buy a rail pass?
A. Rail passes are available to anyone except residents of Europe, the United Kingdom, Morocco, Turkey or any of the countries of the former Soviet Union. If you’re a resident of these countries we can’t sell you our rail passes, but there are other similar options available to you such as the InterRail pass.
Q. Are the fares offered on your website based on live availability?
A. Yes, in most cases. The fares displayed on our website are based on current seat availability at the time you requested the fares and schedules for your journey. our booking engine has a direct link to the inventory of many European rail carriers including SNCF, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Trenitalia, RENFE, the UK’s Association Of Train Operating Companies, and more.
There are some routes which we can only display a cached price at the time of quotation, based on generally available fares for those trains. Actual confirmation of space and fare occurs upon completion of your order. If there are any issues, you’ll be contacted.
Q. Do you ship to PO and APO boxes?
A. At this time, we are unable to ship to P.O. or A.P.O. boxes.
Q. How can I track the status of my refund?
A. To check the status of your refund, you can visit our Contact Us page to send us a message. Please be sure to include your original booking number so that the refund request can be researched.
Refunds processed online for e-tickets are completed immediately. Emails received for e-ticket refunds will be processed on the next business day.
Refunds for paper documents cannot be completed entirely online because your original travel documents must be sent back to us. They will be processed within 1-2 business days after the documents are received by Rail Europe. Our Customer Relations team will contact you once your refund is processed.
Please note that once a refund has been processed, it will take 7-10 business days for it to reflect in your credit card account.
Q. What happens if my train crosses an international border during the night?
A. If you travel in a sleeper compartment, you provide the train attendant with your reservation voucher, rail pass or train ticket, and passport as you board. They can then take care of everything with conductors and customs officials so you can sleep uninterrupted.
If you travel in a regular train that just happens to cross the border at night, customs and border control officers may come directly to you and ask for your passport.
Please note that there will be no passport control (day or night) when traveling between countries that signed the Schengen Agreement. Not all countries belonging to the EU are part of the Schengen Agreement (e.g. Britain). On the flip side, some countries that are not part of the EU are part of the Schengen Agreement (e.g. Switzerland).
Q. Can I choose whether my tickets or rail passes are delivered as paper documents or electronically?
A. All available delivery options for how your train tickets, rail passes, and/or reservations can be issued will be presented to you during checkout.
Q. Can I bring food and drinks on board?
A. Of course you can! Eating and drinking are permitted on all European trains.
You will also have the option to purchase food and drinks if the train you’re traveling on offers food services.