Experience a journey back in time as you travel from Wilderswil to Interlaken Ost to board a vintage cogwheel train. This magnificent vintage train, complete with wooden seats and conductors in uniforms from years gone by, will carry you up to Schynige Platte. Within an hour, you will reach the top and spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura will present themselves to you. Aside from the striking scenery, take some time to visit the Botanical Alpine Garden, the only one of its kind in Switzerland housing nearly 600 species of plants. If the active life is more your pace, this is the perfect place to hit the trails and discover nature on a hike. Feeling hungry? Enjoy the charming restaurant with terrace, and visit the mountain’s hotel! And a bonus, Swiss Travel Pass holders can enjoy all the amazing things to see and do on Schynige Platte for free! Don’t miss out on this one-in-a-lifetime excursion, memories are just waiting to be made!
Exclusive limited-time Spring offer: use promo code 5SPRING19 to get €50 off bookings of €650 or more, or 6SPRING19 to get €80 off bookings of €880 or more. Offer ends 23 April 2019.
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
• Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schynige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
• The 52-minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
• The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
• Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
• Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
• Easy circular hiking trails.
• Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
• Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
• Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
• Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather, the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
• Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. What is the "validity period" of a rail pass?
A. The validity period of a rail pass is the time period in which you must complete your travels with your rail pass. This period is calculated from the date stamped on the rail pass by the railway official.
With a flexi pass this period is defined as a certain number of calendar months – typically one or two.
With a continuous day pass the validity period equals the number of travel days.
Q. What information does Rail Europe retain from my Facebook account?
Q. Is there a fee to take luggage on a train?
A. In general, there are no luggage fees when traveling by train, however, some rail carriers do restrict the amount of luggage a traveller is allowed to bring, and any additional luggage may be subject to local fees.
On Eurostar, you’re permitted to carry two large bags and one small piece of hand luggage. If you have more than this, an additional fee may be required locally.
Q. What credit cards does Rail Europe accept online?
A. You can use an American Express, Diner’s Club, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa card on our website.
Q. Can I print my rail pass at the station?
A. At this time, most rail passes are printed as a paper document and must be shipped to you prior to your departure to Europe. If a rail pass is offered as an e-pass this option will be offered at the time of booking. For rail passes offered as e-passes, you will need to print it out on paper prior to arriving at the train station..
Q. What is the 7:00 pm rule?
A. Overnight train journeys departing after 7:00pm and arriving after 4:00am without any change of train will count as one travel day. The date of arrival should be recorded on your rail pass.
Overnight train journeys departing after 7:00pm that arrive or involve a connection between midnight - 4am count as two travel days on your rail pass.
Q. Is the price for a reservation the same whether I purchase it from you or locally at the station?
A. It depends. The first factor to consider is that if you purchase your reservation from Rail Europe, you will be charged in your local currency, whereas if you buy your reservation locally, you will be charged in local currency. Thus, by buying with us, you’re avoiding bank or credit card fees for foreign currency transactions.
You may find a less expensive reservation offered by the local rail carrier, but those are limited in availability.
Lastly, keep in mind that by purchasing your reservation from us in advance, you’re saving time, avoiding waiting in line at a foreign ticket counter and dealing with a local railway agent for a reservation right before boarding your train.
Q. I recently saw a fare on your website that I can’t find anymore. Why?
A. Just like airfares, train fares fluctuate over time. In most cases, the fare you’re quoted on our website is based on current availability at the time of your request. It’s possible that the fare quoted to you has sold out and become unavailable. However, know that the new fare you see on our website is always the cheapest fare offered, based on current availability.
Q. Who should I contact to book travel for a group of 10 or more people?
A. For groups of 10 or more traveling together please fill out our Group Department form for assistance. If you know what you’re looking for, you can also request a quote online from our Group Department.
Q. Where can I see the exchange and refund conditions of my train ticket?
A. When browsing fares on our website, you can read a brief description of each fare flexibility level, and then see the full exchange and refund conditions for each fare.
Once you have booked a train ticket with us, its exchange and refund rules will be indicated in your Rail Europe booking confirmation email, as well as printed with your train ticket and/or on the ticket jacket in the case of paper tickets. Please note that train tickets must be received for exchange or refund within the allowed time frame mentioned in the exchange and refund conditions.